Discover the Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad with Bacon
Today's culinary spotlight is on an iconic summer dish mirroring the bright and warm spirit of the season - the Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad with Bacon. The roots of this fresh, grilled salad can be traced back to rustic American barbecues, where the celebration of fresh produce marries the smoky char of a good grill. Over time, its wholesome appeal and delectable flavors have won hearts beyond American borders.
In the United States, this radiant and flavorful salad often graces barbecues, picnics, and casual summer dinners. Serve it warm straight off the grill or cool at room temperature, it always delivers an explosion of taste. It's an adaptable dish, giving you the freedom to add or subtract ingredients to cater to your preferences.
The foundation of our Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad is an array of fresh summer produce, starring corn and summer squash. Grilled until charred and tender, these vegetables truly embody the essence of summertime cooking. Tangled in with them is crispy, crumbled bacon shedding an unmistakably rich smoky allure. The dish gets a fresh burst from torn basil leaves, and every element is tied together by an invigorating dressing of Selo Olive Oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and seasoning.
Frequently Asked Questions about Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad
Can other grilled vegetables be added to the salad?
Absolutely! You can enrich this salad with other summer vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or eggplant. Grill them along with the corn and squash, and include them in the salad for added texture and flavor.
Why grill the vegetables for this salad?
Grilling the vegetables adds a delightful smoky flavor and also accentuates the innate sweetness of corn and squash. The char marks also lend the salad an irresistible rustic charm.
Can we replace bacon in this salad?
Yes, you can. While bacon adds a smoky crunch, alternatives such as grilled chicken or tofu could be used for a healthier or vegetarian option.
What to serve with this salad?
This salad pairs well with grilled meats, fish, or can be had on its own as a light meal. Its vibrant flavors make it an excellent side dish for any summer spread.
We hope you relish this charming Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad with Bacon, made even more irresistible with Selo Olive Oil, transporting the goodness of Croatian cuisine into your kitchen. Enjoy!
Grilled Summer Squash and Corn Salad with Bacon
Selo Olive Oil
- 3 ears of corn, husks removed
- 2 medium summer squashes, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slabs
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon
1/2 cup of Selo Croatian olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Cook the Bacon: In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet, crumble it into small pieces, and set it aside.
- Grill the Vegetables: Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the corn and summer squash with about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the corn and squash until tender and charred, about 10 minutes for the corn and 3-4 minutes per side for the squash. Let them cool slightly.
- Prepare the Salad: Cut the kernels off the corn cobs and slice the grilled squash into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, combine the grilled corn and squash, the crumbled bacon, and the torn basil leaves.
- Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve: The salad can be served warm or at room temperature. It's perfect for a summer barbecue or picnic!
This salad is very versatile. You can add other grilled vegetables, switch out the basil for other fresh herbs, or even add some crumbled feta or goat cheese for an extra touch.