Shepherd's Stew with Beef, known as "Čobanac od Junećeg Mesa" in Croatia, is a traditional Croatian dish that is a staple in many households. This hearty stew is made with chunks of beef, potatoes, onions and various other vegetables, all simmered in a rich tomato-based sauce. It's a comfort food that is perfect for a cold winter evening and a staple in many Croatian households.
The origins of Čobanac od Junećeg Mesa can be traced back to the time when Croatia was an agrarian society, where shepherds were the backbone of the society, they were the ones who were responsible for the care of the livestock. This stew was a way to feed a large number of people with minimal ingredients, as it was made with beef and vegetables that were easily accessible to the shepherds. Over time, the dish has evolved to include a variety of different ingredients and spices, and now it's a beloved dish that can be found in households and restaurants throughout the country.
This dish is typically made with beef, potatoes, onions, and various other vegetables, such as carrots, peppers, and tomatoes. The stew is seasoned with a variety of spices, such as paprika, thyme, and bay leaves, which gives it a rich, smoky flavor. It's a perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening, and it's typically served with a side of bread, which is used to soak up the flavorful sauce.
In conclusion, Čobanac od Junećeg Mesa is a classic Croatian dish that has stood the test of time. Its origins in agrarian society and its versatility make it a dish that is beloved by many Croats, and it's perfect for cold winter evenings, with a comforting and hearty meal that is sure to warm you up from the inside out. So, next time you are in Croatia, do not miss to try this traditional dish, it's a must-try!
Shepherd's Stew with Beef (Čobanac od Junećeg Mesa)
Selo Olive Oil
- 2 pounds of beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of Croatian olive oil
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of diced potatoes
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown it on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pot along with the beef broth, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve the Shepherd's Stew with Beef (Čobanac od Junećeg Mesa) with crusty bread or over mashed potatoes.