Classic Comfort: Potato and Egg Salad
Potato and Egg Salad has a timeless appeal, often associated with family gatherings and communal meals. Originated in Europe, potato salads have found their way into almost every cuisine, with regional variations adding to their universal popularity.
Our classic Potato and Egg Salad marries the earthy flavor of potatoes with the richness of boiled eggs, highlighting these simple ingredients in a manner that's both delightful and comforting. Sprinkled with fresh dill and garnished with paprika, the salad takes on a vibrant appearance and a flavor profile enhanced by the creamy mayonnaise and tangy mustard dressing.
Savor the Elegance of Simplicity with Potato and Egg Salad
Our Potato and Egg Salad recipe encompasses precision and simplicity. It comes together easily with boiled, cubed potatoes cooked until tender, cooled, and mixed with finely chopped onion, celery, dill, and hard-boiled eggs. Encased in a creamy dressing of mayonnaise and mustard, each bite of this salad is a comforting delight that fills your palate with familiar and pleasing flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions about Potato and Egg Salad:
Can I add other ingredients to this salad?
Absolutely! One of the great things about potato and egg salad is its versatility. You can customize it to suit your taste by adding chopped pickles, cooked bacon, or different herbs such as parsley or chives.
How far in advance can I prepare this salad?
Potato and egg salad often tastes better after sitting for a few hours or overnight, as it allows the flavors to meld together. You can make it a day or two in advance, stored well-covered in the fridge.
Can I warm up the salad before serving?
While traditionally served chilled, you can serve it at room temperature if you prefer. However, it is not usually served hot, as the mayonnaise-based dressing may separate when heated.
What type of potatoes work best for the salad?
The best types of potatoes for the salad are those that hold up well after cooking and provide a nice texture - we recommend Yukon Gold or Red potatoes. However, feel free to experiment with your favorite types of potatoes.
Potato and Egg Salad
Selo Olive Oil
- 6 large eggs
- 2 pounds of potatoes (preferably Yukon Gold or Red potatoes)
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup of Selo Croatian olive oil
- 1/4 cup of mustard (Dijon or yellow)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish
- Cook the Eggs: Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and set aside for 8-10 minutes. After this, drain the hot water, run cold water over the eggs to cool them down and peel them.
- Cook the Potatoes: Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes (peeling is optional, depending on your preference). Put them into a large pot, add salt, and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- Prepare the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, chopped onion, celery, and dill.
- Chop the boiled eggs into small pieces and add them to the bowl.
Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the salad and gently mix until everything is well coated.
- Serve: You can serve the salad immediately or refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld together. Sprinkle with paprika before serving for extra flavor and color.
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding other ingredients like chopped pickles, cooked bacon, or different herbs.