Potato Pie, known as "Gablec od Krumpira" in Croatia, is a traditional Croatian dish that is a staple in many households. This dish features layers of thinly sliced potatoes, mixed with a variety of ingredients such as bacon, onions, and cheese, all baked in a pastry crust. It's a comforting and hearty dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home.
The origins of Gablec od Krumpira can be traced back to the time when Croatia was an agrarian society, where potatoes were a staple crop and a cheap source of food. This dish was a way to feed a large number of people with minimal ingredients. Over time, the dish has evolved to include a variety of different ingredients and spices, and now it's a beloved dish that can be found in households and restaurants throughout the country.
The dish is typically made with layers of thinly sliced potatoes, mixed with bacon, onions, and cheese. The mixture is then placed in a pastry crust, which is then baked until golden brown and crispy. Some variations of this dish include adding other ingredients such as eggs, sour cream or cream, to the mixture, while others prefer to keep it simple with just the basic ingredients.
In conclusion, Gablec od Krumpira is a classic Croatian dish that has stood the test of time. Its origins in agrarian society and its versatility make it a dish that is beloved by many Croats, and it's perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home. So, next time you are in Croatia, do not miss to try this traditional dish, it's a must-try!
Potato Pie (Gablec od Krumpira)
Selo Olive Oil
- 6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of Croatian olive oil
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let the potato mixture cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled potato mixture, cheddar cheese, sour cream, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- For the crust, in a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and transfer it to a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish.
- Pour the potato mixture into the crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Roll out the remaining dough and place it on top of the potato mixture, crimping the edges to seal.
- Bake the pie for about 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the pie cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Leave a comment: