Pork Chops in Sour Cream, known as "Svinjski Odrezak u Kiselom Vrhnju" in Croatia, is a traditional Croatian dish that is a staple in many households. This dish features pork chops, cooked in a sour cream sauce, with a mixture of onions, garlic, and mushrooms. It's a simple yet delicious dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home.
The origins of Svinjski Odrezak u Kiselom Vrhnju can be traced back to the time when Croatia was an agrarian society, where pork was a staple meat and sour cream was a staple ingredient. This dish was a way to feed a large number of people with minimal ingredients. Over time, the dish has evolved to include a variety of different ingredients and spices, and now it's a beloved dish that can be found in households and restaurants throughout the country.
The dish is typically made with pork chops, cooked in a sour cream sauce, with a mixture of onions, garlic, and mushrooms. The sauce is seasoned with a variety of spices, such as paprika, thyme, and bay leaves, which gives it a rich, smoky flavor. It's typically served with a side of potatoes or rice, which makes it a filling and satisfying meal.
In conclusion, Svinjski Odrezak u Kiselom Vrhnju is a classic Croatian dish that has stood the test of time. Its origins in agrarian society and its versatility make it a dish that is beloved by many Croats, and it's perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home. So, next time you are in Croatia, do not miss to try this traditional dish, it's a must-try!
Pork Chops in Sour Cream (Svinjski Odrezak u Kiselom Vrhnju)
Selo Olive Oil
- 4 pork chops
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons of Croatian olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Season the pork chops with flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork chops and brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the pork chops from the skillet and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, sour cream, Dijon mustard, paprika, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and then add the pork chops back to the skillet.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
Leave a comment: